Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tofu Kimchi Gyoza

Experimented the other day with Tofu Kimchi Gyoza...It was a successful experiment. But then again, I LOVE GYOZA.

Started off with one block of extra firm tofu cut up into cubes, 2 green onions chopped up, one grated zucchini, and a healthy heap of chopped up kimchi:


Mash up the tofu and mix everything well. Add a splash of shoyu (aka soy sauce), 1 beaten egg, mirin and sake (if you have some). Make sure to taste it at this point to see if its seasoned to your liking (can't do this if you're using raw meat sucka!):


Then you become a gyoza wrapping factory...I like to lay out my wrappers and then use a teaspoon to put on the gyoza skins. Make sure you don't overfill! It will make it hard to seal if it's exploding with filling...Dip your finger into a bowl of water and wet the edges of the gyoza skin to help seal the sides.






You can shape the gyoza however you like...this is how I do mine :)


I've found that they keep in the fridge without the skins getting glutonous for one day...apart from that, I'd put them in the freezer for safe keeping :)


To cook: Pan fry in a little bit of oil (I used olive oil b/c that's what I have at home) for 3-5 minutes until the bottom of the gyoza is golden brown and crispy looking. Then, add about 1.5-2 cm water into the frying pan, put a lid on it, and let the gyoza steam until the water evaporates...about 5-7 minutes. Then enjoy! I like to dip mine in a combination of shoyu and rice vinegar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment